Wednesday, March 10, 2010

2012, Here I Come


After our class discussion of media frenzies in the context of Dog Day Afternoon, I immediately thought of a Facebook group that I recently came across: "I survived Y2K, Bird Flu, Mad Cow, 9/11, and Swine Flu. 2012, Here I come!" In class, the point was made that we now have "alternative" voices in media in which other opinions can be heard besides what "the media" wants to tell us. In every instance mentioned in the Facebook group, an "alternative" media was in existence: text messaging, cellular phones, and the blogosphere all contributed to the general response of Y2K, Bird Flu, Mad Cow, 9/11, and Swine Flu. Sonny and the bank tellers who were being held hostage in Dog Day Afternoon essentially interacted with the media from inside the bank. Although Sonny was talking to the reporters and could see himself on TV having a conversation with "the media," there was a lack of this "alternative" form of media. If the hostages inside the bank were able to convey to the outside world what was actually going, then perhaps the robbery would have ended differently.

y2k_large.jpg


The cover of this pamphlet is particularly interesting. My favorite part of the cover is "Will your bank card work on January 1, 2000?" It's shocking how large of an impact the media have on the masses. Y2K was without a doubt a classic media frenzy.


Anthrax, check.

Swine flu, check.

2012 and Nostradamus, bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I made that fan page. Message me for any input =)

    Crazy.artist.14@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete