Friday, March 5, 2010

Disney Movies

This weeks discussion about Disney Movies was an interesting one for me. I have always been an avid Disney viewer, and as a child I loved them. My parents allowed me to watch them, but preferred that I did not just because I wasn't allowed to watch barely any TV or movies growing up. Now, however, I have mixed feelings about these movies and showing them to my children one day. I have such wonderful memories as a child of watching the movies that I want my children to be able to experience the same movies, however, as an informed adult I am not sure I want to support a company that produces racism, sexism, violence and many other politically incorrect issues. On the other hand, however, I think Disney has a positive influence on children in the way that they create dreams and aspirations for young boys and especially girls. For example, I wanted to be a princess or a fairy like Tinker Bell or Belle more than anything when I was little. This dream allowed me to use my imagination and pretend which is an important part of childhood development. The negativity in these movies, however, may outweigh the positive aspects of the films. Perhaps the most offensive and ignorant part of any movie is simply the size and body image of Ariel in "The Little Mermaid". Her figure is completely unrealistic and the it also gives the message that if a girl is beautiful, skinny, and has large breasts and long flowing hair she can date any man no matter what her personality may be. Studies have shown unfortunately that body images such as Ariel largely impact girls' views of their bodies as teenagers and young adults. I think Ariel can be related similarly to the Bratz dolls or Barbie dolls. The link above shows Bratz dolls. These dolls are similar to Barbies and they portray unrealistic and unhealthy body size and proportion to young girls. Unfortunately, body image is one of the few serious psychological issues that sticks with females from a young age. Ariel and the other Disney Princess' bodies are unhealthy, unrealistic and should not be allowed. Even though I loved Disney movies as a child and would not give up watching them even because of all the politically incorrect and inappropriate messages I still think they are valuable to children's imagination and fantasies. I will have to grapple with the idea of showing them to my children, and it will be a difficult decision
http://images.theage.com.au/ftage/ffximage/2008/05/20/bratz_wideweb__470x302,0.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment