Friday, March 5, 2010

Disney Syndrome

Disney Syndrome
This week’s topic really interested me as it is a familiar and amusing subject to discuss. When I was a child, I was a big fan of Disney movies and my parents as well, so my parents bought all Disney’s videos and let me watch comfortably at home. One of my favorites was Cinderella which most of girls would once fall into. I saw it more than ten times but didn’t catch its deep serious meaning which might be not good to know as a child. As a grown-up and as I thought about it seriously, I found out Cinderella does not provide all good lessons to viewers. We, the viewers, know it is just a movie or cartoon that might be far from a reality. However, in the past, as an innocent child-viewer, I couldn’t distinguish which is a reality or unreality. The movie Cinderella describes a pretty and kind girl who goes through all the sufferings and bears them until the prince comes and saves her. As a young child, I truly believed only if I am nice and pretty, my soul-mate would come and take me to a new world of fantasy. My expectation continuously grew up at that moment. Unfortunately, it won’t happen; it is just non-sense in reality.
Moreover, these day’s dramas or movies have similar contents of Disney. Beautiful women get trapped into troubles but their savors, handsome and rich men, emerge and heroically save them and fall in love with each other. Any dramas or movies that have these kinds of contents are popular to women who are also expected to become one of those beautiful lucky women. It is just fun to watch those things but something too much or too far from reality will not positively affect our lives.
Thus, if I were a mother of a child, I might recommend my child to watch Disney movies as they are fun and would help develop imagination but will strictly arbitrate if something impure comes out in movies.

http://www.graphicshunt.com/wallpapers/images/cinderella_and_prince_charming-1668.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment