Friday, March 12, 2010

Barbie Goes Mad!

In almost every class we have, I feel as though Mad Men comes up in one way or another. Today, while readying The New York Times I have learned that Barbie will now be a part of the Mad Men Phenomenon!

Matel plans to launch this Mad Men version of "Barbie" and "Ken" will be for the "premium" line of Barbie Dolls that retail at $74.99 EACH! These dolls will be released in a limited quantity and sold to very specific websites. There will only be about 7,000 to 10,000 dolls released on this liscence.

"That two dolls represent a relationship outside wedlock, and Don Draper’s propensity for adultery, may be firsts for the Barbie world since the brand’s introduction five decades ago. But for the sake of the Barbie image, her immersion in the “Mad Men” era will go only so far: The dolls come with period accessories like hats, overcoats, pearls and padded undergarments, but no cigarettes, ashtrays, martini glasses or cocktail shakers." (NYT, March 2010)

How much does that little paragraph say about ideologies as a consumer society? We are not allowing Barbie to take on these social constructs of society by tackling the important issues that "Mad Men" raises about the era in which it is set, but we'll let Barbie and Ken glorify the WASPiness that took over the 1950's? Right? I mean, honestly, let's not incorporate some social and cultural education into one of childhood's most beloved toys!

I find it fascinating that AMC, Matel, and Lionsgate would work together. As a fan of all three (yes, I had far too many Barbies as a young girl), I find their missions to not mold together. This endeavor would not be one I would have foreseen. I would assume that adult content that AMC tends to show on its programming would not fit well with the wholesome image of Barbie. But, I guess I am wrong.

I wonder who exactly will be the largest age demographic of buyers? I have a funny feeling that it will be a "mother-daughter" thing. Perhaps it will be cool for a mother to purchase a Joan doll for herself while the mother's adorable daughter goes with a Teen Skipper. But, who knows. I am totally intrigued to see how this one pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment