Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Yikes, Disney...

I think its clear to all of us (whether we want to admit it or not) that Disney perpetuates a lot of social ideologies that we would rather eliminate from our society. We only permit Disney’s dangerous socialization, because on the surface, their movies are just entertaining, bright, friendly, and innocent. As a child, I was a typical girl who wanted to be a princess like the ones I saw in Disney films. More than anything else about Disney, though, I loved the songs!! In fact, for my first couple years of auditions and piano lessons, I wanted everything I performed to be Disney. Nothing else appealed to me, musically.

However, as I look back on some of the lyrics to seemingly innocent Disney melodies, I’m shocked. What are we allowing our children to hum and sing to? Seeing the lyrics now is very concerning. These lyrics (as well as the dialogue in the movies themselves) promote sexism, objectifying women, racism, impossible ideal body images, etc.—they make complicated, serious social issues friendly, catchy, and fun! That doesn’t seem right to me. Read over these couple lyrics and tell me that it’s okay for children to be exposed to these ideas. Yes, we’re more likely to understand why they’re wrong and that they’re flawed at all, than children are, but that doesn’t mean Disney’s ideas have no impact on children whatsoever. Children absorb what they’re presented with, even if they cannot recognize it at the time.

Real (Shocking) Disney Lyrics:

“A girl worth fighting for…I couldn’t care what she’ll wear or what she looks like…it all depends on what she cooks like…”

“They cut off your ear if they don’t like your face…it’s barbaric, but hey, its home.”

“Its she who holds her tongue who gets a man…”

These Youtube clips examine and analyze Disney’s messages. Check them out. I know its hard not to defend Disney, as it was a part of all of our childhoods, but seriously…these are important things we must criticize them for…:

No comments:

Post a Comment