Saturday, April 24, 2010

And the Magazine of the Year Goes to...

On April 22nd, 2010 The New York Times revealed that Glamour Magazine was named "Magazine of the Year" by the American Society of Magazine Editors. Glamour was presented with the most awards, followed by The New Yorker and National Geographic. I admit, I am not sure why Glamour won. However, since I do not know much about the magazine industry, I am sure there is a very good reason. I have found that in the past, Glamour has not been the first magazine I reach for when I am purchasing my monthly magazine fix.

However, I think from a media critic's point of view, that I should most likely start reading it a bit more. The people that Glamour tends to have on the cover are completely relevant to the current times. It seems as though it has a very healthy balance for a magazine targeted at women. Yes, there is the necessary superficial "do it yourself" remedies that we all look and also a more sophisticated spin with human interest pieces and other kinds of articles.

For an advertiser, this magazine would be a dream to purchase space in because it hits a target audience of many different kind of women who are looking for different things. Yet, they all have in common that they want to be a modern women with glamour...or one would assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment