Friday, February 5, 2010

I LOVE THE JERSEY SHORE

As many, or hopefully all of us know, I am obsessed with The Jersey Shore. Yes, I admit it whole heartly and I am proud of myself for falling in love with what I call, a brilliant "sociological experiment". I have found myself saying things such as, "I hope I run into Vinny one day. I want to marry him" and surprisingly, I am okay with it.

But, after examining "ideologies", I truly wonder how the ideologies of popular culture have changed. Specifically, I am very interested in in the spoofs of The Jersey Shore and how the relate to the ideologies of culture. Mainly, with using children in spoofs. My inspiration comes from a Facebook comment left my a friend on my wall. The website, Babelgum has a video called
Comedy Kids Reenact MTV’s Hit Series "Jersey Shore". The 2:47 clip has five stars from viewers, and what I would assume to be an incredible amount of hits, seeing as I watch it at least twice a day. It is executed in a fantastic way and I find truly enjoyable.

I wonder though, how "sick" is it that I actually enjoying watching the likes of "Snooki", "The Situation", and Sammi "Sweetheart" get made fun of and poked at? I hate when people judge and make fun of me, yet I cannot help do what I dislike most onto these people. I have been taught as a small child,
" Do onto others as you would have others do unto you" yet, here I am not following the mantra my mother has instilled in my existence since a wee little girl. Is it alright to make fun of people and judge them so as long as you know don't know them? And if so, when did that rule happen?

Also, what does this clip say about the youth in our present day society? As you hopefully have seen, the kids are done up in stereotypical make up, hair, and costume to resemble the characters seen on the show, spewing the beautiful and thoughtful language, and taking part in activities. According to the "Young Pauly D", "it's important to hit the gym hard everyday". The baby "Snooki" explains how she like to dance with her girls and look for "juiceheads". These kids cannot be over the age of eight. Granted the actors' gaurdians had to sign a waiver (or I would hope), but why is it funny to watch small children acting out the outlandish scenes? What does this have to say about society's view on children? Oy, so many questions!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment