Friday, February 12, 2010

It's so kitsch to belong



Product placement has become extremely useful in the days of TiVo and movies. People are trying to avoid advertisements as much as possible by fast forwarding through commercials and previews that companies have decided to place themselves directly into the show or movie itself. Talladega Nights is probably one of the best examples I can think of. Another example I remember that was my first experience with product placement is Wayne's World. I found this interesting video on youtube that brings up a good point concerning product placement.



We are now actually paying to see commercials. Our $12 dollar tickets to the movies now entitle us to actually see commericals now not only mixed in shamelessly with the previews, but within the movie itself. The advertisement company's are playing off of America's shameless need to belong. If you have the same verizon phone that was shown on Gossip Girl last night you will immediately become a cool upper east sider. If a fan of a sports team wants to belong they are willing to pay over $50 dollars to buy a jersey with their favorite team member written on the back of it, even though that player has never worn that jersey before. Even though he might not have bought it, do not fret because you now belong to that team!

Viral marketing seems to be the new trend these days. Even as I went on youtube to find these clips I found myself looking under the share tab to try to find blogger listed. Instead there were just 8: twitter, facebook, myspace, orkut, stumbleupon, bebo, hi5, and livespaces. I am not sure if I have just been living under a rock, but I have never heard of the last five. Pretty soon I bet I will though.

To be kitsch is supposed to be an imitation of high art. It is based off of the original, can be considered tasteless, without monetary value, and made for mass consumerism. It allows people to belong. It allows those people with their jersey's to belong to that team even though it is not worth nearly as much as the one that player has actually sweated in. Kitsch is not avant-garde. It does not take education and studying to know, it is for the masses, so the masses can belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment