Sunday, February 7, 2010


When I was creating my presentation this week I noticed how connected all of the definitions were. Needing to know the codes and conventions of a society to understand why an image has the effect it has on us involves the producer function. Since we have to have someone behind the image, seeing the Nike swoop or the D & G of Dolce let's us know about the quality level and what someone will think when they see the logo on us. We are interpellated by the image because it has provoked the emotion of quality, knowledge of the brand, or a thought of snobbery.

Another definition that caught my attention was intervisuality. This caught my eye because throughout the chapter we had been focused on just looking at one image, where it was, and the codes and conventions of the society. To then have to look at how other images look next to an image was an interesting twist. It kind of reminded me about how when you watch a show regularly you begin to notice that the same commercials come on. I relate the "bump it" commercials to Degrassi because it was always on whenever I watched it. From that I would think about how Degrassi is a teenage soap opera and relate the bump it to something that teenage, dramatic girls would wear to be considered cool. This might be an odd pairing, but I do not think I ever saw Degrassi without seeing a bump it commercial come on. The way I was interpellated with the image might not have been the intent of the producer, but since the show is semi-popular the product received exposure, which I am sure bump it is not complaining about.

No comments:

Post a Comment