Friday, April 9, 2010

The Gays Can Solve Everything!

Gays are always seen as a sidekick. In most movies and TV shows, they are merely the person that the lead straight women goes to when she's having man problems, and her gay best friend is supposed to solve all her problems just because he's gay. This does not reflect reality at all. I'm gay, and I have lots of girls as friends, but when they as me for help with their relationships, I don't say in a sassy tone "Hell yeah, girlfriend! I can fix this for youuu!!" In fact, most of the time I laugh and tell them I don't know what they should do. I find it sad that the media makes us believe these kinds of things actually happen in the real world, as the do in movies like My Best Friends Wedding and Monster in Law.

In Monster in Law, Jennifer Lopez is getting married to the perfect guy, but her mother-in-law is absolutely awful. She seeks advice from her gay friend, because she thinks he can solve her man problems just because he's a guy who likes guys. In the end, his advice doesn't help her mend her relationship with her mother-in-law, her own actions do. It's a mystery to me why the media perpetuates such stereotypes when they know them to be untrue. Perhaps they want all women to think this is what happens in the real world and seek a gay best friend. Who knows? All I know is, I'm not the guy that all my girl friends come running to when they have problems. Because, in case you didn't know, girls are capable of solving their own problems, without the help of a gay best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment