Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm in a Jersey (?!) State Of Mine

On Thursday, April 29th, 2010 The New York Times published an article in the Business Section called Going to New Jersey to Find America.

What I loved about reading this article was, it was on the day I began to put the finishing touches on my final paper where my group and I explored male stereotypes, that ultimately lead to the creation of a television show based in New Jersey.

I think that this article, at least for me, really drives home the point that this class has set fourth from the begging. As people who want to be involved in any business that involves media, advertising, marketing, and public relations- in order to deliver the message, we must be six steps a head of the curve in order to keep up with popular media trends.

Looking at television channels and networks such as MTV, VH1, Bravo, and HBO who have stayed smart to the trend that audiences are craving a look into the life of "real people". According to the article, "the skew that these shows are able to reach, for audience, is truly phenomenal. Among women ages 18 to 49, the appeal of the New Jersey “Housewives” is 50 to 60 percent above the average for all cable shows, said Henry Schafer, executive vice president at Marketing Evaluations, the company that compiles the “Q scores” for likeability of TV series and celebrities."

To me, if you want to be a producer, you must understand the importance of advertising for your product.

No comments:

Post a Comment