Friday, April 2, 2010

Love, Loss, and What I Wore

I have been very fortunate to have a mentor in the entertainment and theatre industry who spoils me rotten with complimentary theatre tickets, movie screenings, and most of all--excellent experience in terms of internships. Last week, my mentor and I went to go see Love, Loss, and What I Wore a new play based on the best selling novel by Ilene Beckerman.

I always love going to see plays and musicals, but have begun to enjoy seeing productions even more because I now have a greater understanding of what lights my fire (for a lack of a better term) for theatre. I was enthralled with this piece of dramatic literature, because each woman in this funny, touching, and truthful piece represented many different kinds of women in many different ways. I was blown away by the cast of women who breathed life into the characters of the story. Didi Conn, Fran Drescher, Jayne Houdyshell, Carol Kane, and Natasha Leyone made me laugh, cry and proud to be a woman.

While some gender role issues rang through loud and clear, I wasn't bothered as I have been in the past. The way this play was artistically produced allowed me, as the audience member, to take a step back from the material and issues at hand, and enjoy the moment of hearing another woman's story. In the world of the play, I felt as though I was surrounded by people, not just woman who understand human emotion. Unfortunately, not all entertainment, including theatre understands that brilliant work does not need to be surrounded by stereotypes. At least in my opinion. What I think was most brilliant about the piece was that I was able to look at the stories of the women who shared them for the words they left the playwrights share with the audience. The intimacy of the work was truly stunning and very inspiring.

I now understand why when I complain to my about buying tickets to see any cultural event, she says, "Lauren, it's an investment. You need to see everything and anything you can in order to practice your craft. She is 100% right". Long ramble, but I think the bottom line is, as a "media critics" we need to stretch ourselves to see as much as we can and as often as we can in order to make the most of our studies and expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment