Friday, April 9, 2010

No longer MILKin' the Media

We all saw it (or at least wanted to). We all heard about it. We all loved it (and by all, I actually mean all except for maybe sectors of the Samoan government). Sean Penn's performance in MILK was epic and enlightening, heart-filling and heart-breaking.



As we're discussing homosexuality in the media, I personally see MILK as the ultimate portrayal of homosexuality. There are no typical extremes, there isn't the "gay best-friend," the antagonist is certainly not normalized (in fact, conservative critics have noted the negligence of Harvey Milk's more masculine characteristics), and the movie manages to make homosexuality both the biggest issue, and the most besides-the-point issue. I decided to do some research and have found even more applause for this film's portrayal of sensitive issues. Liberals were OBSESSED, conservatives gave a giant nod of approval. On the post-modernist scale, there was an incredible debate about relevancy and strategy upon its release.
Paper 1: It's strategic release post Prop-8...
Paper 2: It's ironic that this movie happened to be released amidst the Prop-8
Paper 3: The fact that we can juxtapose this historical account with today's Prop-8...
But one thing is certain that when it comes to representation of homosexuality in the media, Milk surpassed the majority...

I can't help but note though... how surprised I was when I suddenly remembered the movie Milk. We all loved it, but it fizzled out as quickly as the HOPE of the Obama campaign. Milk made me instantly wikipedia Prop-8... I to this day have no idea about the outcome. I'm sure that anyone reading this is going "oh yeah good one!" when it's explicit and implicit comments upon homosexuality were almost revolutionary. Not to mention, we never even got close to discussing this movie in class (now, a bit jolting for me). This just makes me wonder: Do We, the audience, actually PREFER these binary portrayals of homosexuality? When given diversity, more realism we accept it, but what makes a lasting impression is "Jack and Will" not "Milk and that other guy by James Franco."

No comments:

Post a Comment