Friday, April 16, 2010

Hollywood Goes Broadway

Since popular culture is a topic that we are constantly exploring, I wanted to explore how popular culture is infiltrating the theatre scene. Yes, I admit it, I am theatre snob. I believe in my snobby heart of hearts, that I have the right to be critical of the newest trend to Broadway, which is Hollywood is taking over our stage. The idea that Jay-Z is presenting Fela! Or that Elton John presented Next Fall or how Scarlett Jo, Siena, and Abby B graced the Broadway circuit this season makes me a little weary. As someone who aspires to be a producer one day, I cannot help but think, what has happen to the audience who valued the Broadway Baby? Where did this audience member go? And how can I get him or her back?

I feel sad thinking that if I were to produce anything for the Broadway stage right now, I too would go with star power. We all know if John Mayer were to do a guest stint in Rock of Ages every young female and her counter parts (boyfriend, best friend, enemy) would go to see this epic event. When did the spectacles of Broadway get mottled with the glitz and glam of Hollywood? However, then Stanley Tuccicomes along and directs Lend Me a Tenor and everyone, whose opinion I care about cannot stop singing the shows praises, because Mr. Tucci stayed true to the playwright.

So, I begin to wonder (how to Carrie Bradshaw of me) is it that produces are forgetting the element of truth that the playwright so desperately longs for when letting his or her work lie in the arms of a creative team? I look at how marketing has changed from the time I was a young theatre goer to now. In those ten short years, when I started to go into the city by myself to see shows, to now, it has completely changed. The different forms of marketing, advertisements, and so on is just mind-boggling.

While I still read all the necessary materials in order to decide what I want to see when going to the theatre, I do find that I am now making choices about creating my selection list based on the advertising and the amount of advertising. Until recently, I had never really though about the idea that, it takes three sightings of an ad for consumer to become interested in the product. And now, I understand why. I believe it is an important trend to keep up with and to continue to critique in order to be a smart, educated, and thoughtful arts administrator of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment